If you are a dedicated conservationist, eco-tourist or birder who has been looking for an excuse to ease your spouse/partner into the adventure; this is soft ecotourism at its best! What could be easier than boarding a luxurious cruise ship in San Juan and relaxing at sea while you cruise to a different Caribbean island just about every day. Many of these islands have native parrot populations and there will be other bird species too. And best of all, your participation benefits the World Parrot Trust’s conservation efforts!
In order to participate in the seminars and dedicated birding excursions, you must book with the official travel agency, Carol’s Travel Time. If you book before 18 Feb, they are offering some bonus goodies:
Take your choice from one of the following “extras” when you book now:
1. Classic Beverage Package for two (including spirits – $616 value), or
2. Pre-paid gratuities for two ($161 value) or,
3. A $200 onboard credit
Hurry, “extras” offer ENDS Feb. 18!
I always recommend flying in a day or two in advance of a cruise to make sure you don't get held up by weather delays. There's plenty to do in Puerto Rico and I will be covering that in another blog, and I will also go over how to get there on frequent flyer miles.
They have already announced one of the excursions in San Juan, Puerto Rico.
October 26 - Discover how scientists and aviculturists are working together to save the critically endangered Puerto Rican Amazon Parrot with this exclusive tour available only to guests aboard the Parrot Lover's Cruise. Departing at 8:30am local time, attendees will get a chance to visit the Vivaldi (or Rio Abajo) Aviary, a research station which is closed to the general public and located in the 5,000 acre Rio Abajo Forest Reserve.
While on site, you will meet with members of the PR Amazon Recovery team. During a tour of facilities and surrounding area, you will learn about the captive breeding and release program and may be able to glimpse one of the parrots that have recently been returned to the wild. A small donation is included in your excursion price and will assist with efforts to save this critically endangered species. With a stop at the mall for some lunch and shopping, then back to the cruiseship to find your luggage awaiting your arrival, there's no better way to start your trip!
Ticket Price: USD $110 per guest (excludes lunch.) Each ticket includes a $36 donation to aid parrot conservation. Contact Carol to book your spot »
- Prices are valid while availabilty lasts. Please contact Carol for current rates.
- Prices are per person based on double occupancy. Single or 3rd/4th person occupancy is available, contact Carol for pricing.
- Prices quoted include a donation to the World Parrot Trust and conference expenses (on-board seminars and activities).
- Bookings must be made through Carol's Travel Time in order for passengers to be able to participate in Parrot Lover's Cruise seminars and activities.